Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Dentist, ICEES, and French Braids!

 Today was the big day.  Addison went to the Dentist for her 1st real visit (other than chipped teeth at the beginning of the month).  Melody was also along for the event.  Mom was with me to help with the girls since it would have been completely impossible to do alone.  I tried to feed Melody before we left in hopes that she wouldn't want to nurse at the appointment.  Well, she wasn't hungry when we left but you can guarantee that she was starving as soon as we got in the waiting room!  I'm just gonna have to get over this public nursing thing.  I have no choice!  So, I took care of that situation while Mom and Addison played in the kid area.  Thank goodness for those indoor playground things.   They sure do keep Addison happy- and that is the main goal on a day like today!  So, they started with letting her pick out her own toothbrush and bringing her to a sink and kind of teaching her what to do.  She really could have cared less.  At home we make a huge game out of brushing her teeth.  It's the only way to get the job done. 



 Then, we went to the chair and did some more brushing and looking around with the mirror.  They have told us before and they told us today that we need to start saving for an orthodontist.  Great.  She has very crowded teeth and when they look at the xrays (from her big fall) they can see her permanent teeth and how big they are.  There just isn't enough room!  Sooo, when she is around 11 or 12 they say we may be pulling some teeth to make some room. 
 Now, I am fully aware that this appointment doesn't really do much because toddlers rarely cooperate.  I do know that its purpose is to get the child use to the dentist and the whole cleaning process.  They are really good at teaching at a child-like level and they take the time to show and explain to them.  Addison's 2 front teeth are doing just fine thank goodness.  The xrays looked great and they were able to file them down so that they are even.  She did wonderful through all of this.   They let her feel the sand paper thing before they used it so that she could know it wouldn't hurt her.  That helped alot I believe.  So, I'm glad we went today and got off on the right foot.  I think it's important for kids to start early with the dentist---I think this helps establish a healthy relationship with the dentist for the rest of their lives!  I love going to the dentist and I always have.  I love how slimy and clean my teeth feel so much that afterwards I don't even want to eat!  The FIRST thing I notice about someone is there teeth.  I think teeth say alot about someone.  More than their haircut or clothes.  I love seeing a good set of teeth!  I'm about to embarrass Matt for a second but that's ok:)  His teeth were the very first thing I noticed about him when we met.  Couldn't take my eyes off of them!  They are so dang perfect and lovely.  I have told him this for 10 years now.  Sooo, long story short.......I love teeth and I think you should take care of them from early on! 

Sipping some water
 Melody is doing fabulous!  We are still getting some good sleep- praise the Lord!  She is really starting to fill out and feel pretty heavy.  I can't believe she is growing this fast.  I think it took Addison a bit longer to fill out.  She is always sooo alert and seems to be taking everything in.  When she dreams she constantly smiles which is hilarious and so sweet!  She is extremely fiesty.  She fights us during every diaper change and hates the wipes.  She is certainly following the same activity as when she was in my belly.  There was always a constant party going on!  They always said she was a mover during my ultrasounds.  With Addison they used to have to push around or make loud noises on my stomach to make her move, and many times that wouldn't even work.  It is funny to see how different their personalities are even in utero. 

 I gave Addison her first french braid the other day.  It was a big day!  First, I didn't realize her hair was this long- Oh my gosh she is growing up so fast!   It took some very fast hands on my part and Matt had to sing to her and ask her a thousand questions to keep her from running around.  It worked.  My Mom use to braid my hair all the time and I loved it.  Then I would practice on all of my dolls.  I couldn't wait to have a little girl one day so I could braid her hair! 
First French Braid!

French Pigtails!

 She has learned the goodness of Coke ICEES.  Oh bless her heart!  This is something she will love for the rest of her life!  I adore coke icees.  We live really close to some wonderful icees and she is starting to ask for them quiet a bit. 
You may have seen this shirt in a thousand pictures of Addison, but it is one of our favorites.  Not only is it cute as can be, but it also doesn't stain!  The back of the shirt says "Peace, Love, and Cupcakes".  Addison is obsessed with cupcakes and when we saw the shirt we just couldn't pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment